Sunday 28 October 2007

More of the Beginning

Almost exactly two weeks after our first meeting, Ann came to supper at my flat. We had seen one another in between, of course: smiling and nodding as we passed in the corridors, occasionally exchanging a word or two. Every time, every time, my diaphragm lurched like a struck drum. Once, hurriedly, almost shyly, she had asked: "Are you going to Gary's party?" I didn't go. Deliberately. I already had an inkling that I was playing for keeps. I wanted everything to be just right.

I had sent flowers the day after we met. The note thanked her for a lovely night. Ann had a friend with her when they arrived. She enjoyed her friend's curiosity. She enjoyed being coy.

I spent a student's fortune on ingredients and the afternoon cooking: lasagne, waldorf salad, something clever with peaches from a recipe book. Neither of us ate very much. We were both too tense, too expectant. We drank, but not excessively.
"Coffee?" I asked. Suddenly, she smiled. God, that smile.
"I'm sorry", she said, "but I just have to do this." And then she kissed me. Soft, sensuous, enthralling. Just right.

4 comments:

Hilda May said...

she's beautiful,your girl...

Rachel x

marsupial girl said...

What a beautiful memory to have. I hope you will keep writing...about you...about Ann...whatever you need to do in a given moment.
mg

Anonymous said...

Just visiting from Traceys blog. She sends a hug.

I hope writing your memories and feelings down helps you. You will find your fellow bloggers very supportive I'm sure.

Tracy x said...

she was a minx - just another part of her that i loved!
t x