Saturday 27 October 2007

A friend, Jan, wrote this. It was read at Ann's funeral. Afterwards, she put a copy into a pretty frame and left it for me to find. Sometimes, I manage to read it all the way to the end.

One day I went a-walking,
around the reservoir,
strolling along, strutting my stuff,
it was the best day of the year, by far.

Then around the corner, came this girl,
long auburn hair a-flowing,
she had a mac on down to her knees,
and a hat from which she was glowing.

From that day on we became good mates,
we would walk our dogs together,
Hudson and Ripley would run off,
and we would stand and wait, for ever...!

Hud...Hud...Hud...you would hear,
echoing around the rezzie,
and for all their hunting that they did,
they would never come back with a prezzie.

Now when I go walking,
there is part of Ann with me,
I'm now the proud owner
of the mac that came to her knees.

But as I'm only 5 foot 1
the difference is plain to see,
it drags along the floor behind
and picks up all the leaves.

And as I return to my car,
look back and you will see,
a path where we've been walking,
my best friend Ann, and me.

1 comment:

Tracy x said...

Jan is an amazing friend - one of lifes good souls x
it made me sob at the funeral and i even let out an unexpected snort(yes it was me.... sorry!)
we held on to each other missing our friend but both knowing she was right there with us x
t x