Saturday 27 October 2007

The Beginning

It was a late afternoon in February 1993 and I had just entered the dingy, Student Union bar. I saw her coming towards me across the 1930s parquet floor: orange, green and mustard striped jeans, red lips, auburn hair. She greeted the friend I was with. A moment; and then we were introduced. Much later, Ann told me she had only come over because of me. She thought I looked like William Shatner when I smiled.

The three of us sat and chatted. In the manner of these things, three became four, four became seven and, eventually, there must have been fifteen of us grouped around a couple of chipped tables. Amongst the overflowing ashtrays, plastic pint glasses and circulating spliffs, comfortable within the security of the raucous babble, Ann and I began our journey.

The idea was to go to the King's Head in Upper Street, then on to a tiny, all-night, salsa club above Ronnie Scott's in the West End. The King's Head still spoke in 'old money' - a pint was thirty shillings. But Ann and I fell back from the group almost as soon as we emerged from the basement on to Highbury Barn. I remember that we looked at one another and smiled.

"Where did you two disappear to last night?" My friend asked the following day as we waited for a seminar to begin. I think I shrugged noncommittally.

In fact, as the others were doubtless shouting their drink orders above the din in the King's Head, Ann and I were chatting easily in a little Turkish restaurant opposite the college. I don't recall the name of the place, but it served good food and was cheap enough for students to dine occasionally. I hope it's still there.

Ann lived in Finsbury Park. At about midnight, we left the restaurant and I walked her home. I had never seen such a compact flat. The door opened on to a small room, perhaps 10' by 12'. To the right, a kitchen area: a two-ring hob, a sink and a free-standing fridge which was clearly designed to be built-in to a cabinet. That same fridge finally fulfilled its manufacturer's ambitions when it was built into our kitchen here in Kent. What was left of the room was filled with a double futon bed. A doorway led to a lavatory and shower-stall. Everywhere, there were books. Every wall supported shelves brimming with books. Books were stacked dangerously high in pile after pile around the floor. A stack of books served as a bedside table. But it was clean.

We sat on the futon, drank coffee and talked. In the years since, Ann delighted in telling people that I tricked her that night. Ann knew her art and she knew her literature. I know just enough to fool some of the people, some of the time. But, that night, I was lucky. I got away with it.

I left at about 9 the following morning. We had talked all night. We hadn't touched. Our first kiss was like our last: a kiss goodbye.

3 comments:

Tracy x said...

so beautiful x
i am lucky enough to know you but it is so wonderful to read your posts about life before we all met x
keep going - i am enjoying all the pictures of our girl x
t x

Racheal Miles said...

Hi, Tracy sent me and I'm so glad she did.

I want to say some magic words that will take the pain away but of course that isn't possible.

Keep writing, don't edit, just write what ever you are feeling, it will help.

Racheal x

Jane said...

What can I say, words don't help much at the moment. Do write as you feel though. I came to visit from Tracey's blog.