Sunday 4 November 2007

Dogs


Both the dogs are clearly missing Ann. It manifests itself in small ways. For instance, they both now insist on sleeping with me. They don't like to be in a different room. When I come home, they greet me briefly at the door and then push past me into the garden, clearly looking for someone else...

However, they are coping.

In her final month, Ann pushed them away. She refused to let them on the bed with her, she wouldn't pet them, she turned away from them when they tried to nuzzle her.

You see, she had heard that lurchers can sometimes miss an owner so badly that, afterwards, they die themselves. They pine to death.

9 comments:

trash said...

Hey Philip. I have been trying to think of something all afternoon to say in response to this post. Again all I come up with is brave. You, Ann, Brave.

Tracy x said...

hey my beautiful doglets xx
it is so strange that yesterday i tried and failed to upload some doggy pictures on to my blog - one of them was hudson looking out of the back of the landy and the other was the one you have put on today - strange eh?
nice talking to you today - sorry i rambled on so much...
but you know me
Ann was used to it - we could speak at the same time and still understand each other!
tracy x
p.s - stephen has put your name down for livestock manager!

Hilda May said...

if only they could talk......sending a big bear hug of love from down here

rachel x

Leanne said...

Hi Philip, I too cannot think of what to say, words dont come easily, but as Trashalou says, Ann was brave, you are brave. I never knew Ann, I dont really know you except through these posts, But I am moved by your story, and without doubt, you are brave to share it with us, and i truly wish you well. Leanne x

Kitty said...

I second what Leanne said ^^

Take care :-) x

Barbara said...

You have a way of bringing tears to my eyes.

Anonymous said...

phillip, dogs are so funny like that. thank you for sharing the picture and the fragments of your life with ann as well as the bits from now. you are in my thoughts.

Katie twinkles said...

Perhaps they could also be saying 'we gotta all look out for each other and then we'll be okay'....
Gradually, gradually the pain will ease some.
Take care x

Barbara said...

Thank you for the birthday greetings.