Friday 2 November 2007

A Perfect Day

In the early summer of 1994, our last exam behind us, Ann and I took off for Cornwall. We stuffed a tent and some bags into the boot of my little car and roared away.

One evening, perhaps a week after leaving London, we were bumping along a narrow lane somewhere between St. Austell and Falmouth. We had passed a pleasant afternoon swimming and walking, but had then recklessly eschewed our intended campsite and pressed on westwards. Now: it was getting dark; a thick sea-mist had rolled in; the car was starting to play up; and we were lost. Worse, we were beginning to become irritable with one another.

We descended slowly into yet another fishing village, white-washed stone buildings looming eerily out of the fog.

"If this is Portloe, there ought to be an hotel here," said Ann, juggling guidebook, map and torch.

Indeed there was. With relief, I nosed the little car off the road and slotted it between two very smart, executive saloons. We looked at one another uncertainly. We had started the holiday with only £250 in cash. In those student days, there were no credit cards, no overdrafts. Once our money was gone, it was gone.

Like children peeking between the banisters when they ought to be in bed, we peered tentatively through the grand double doors at the decor within.

"It looks awfully sodding expensive," Ann whispered. I nodded.

We pushed at the doors and crept quietly, damply, across the plush carpet to the unmanned reception desk. A gentle tinkling and a soft suspiration of refined conversation escaped from the dining room. I picked up a menu and we scanned it together.

"Can I help you?"

We swiveled to see a smartly-dressed woman, her eyebrow raised. I swallowed nervously.

"Err... Do you have a table for two?" There was a lengthy pause.

"Perhaps. Let me see." As she consulted her oversize diary, Ann caught my eye and shook her head. I pressed on.

"Oh, and do you happen to have any rooms available?" Smartly-dressed woman looked up and regarded us suspiciously. Her experienced eye took in my faded jeans, Ann's lack of make-up, our salty hair. A longer pause.

"Yes, we do," she replied eventually. "Just for tonight?" I nodded.

She told us the price. More than we had. Although, to be fair, it included breakfast.

"I'll get our bags," I said.

"I'll give you a hand," said Ann

In the car park, we couldn't stop giggling.

"It's not funny," I managed eventually. "We're going to have to sleep on the beach."

Dejected, we climbed back into the car. The engine burst reluctantly back into life and we started to climb up the hill and out of the village. Suddenly, Ann leaned forward.

"What's that?"

High in the air, visible through a hole in the thick fog, we could see a brightly-lit sign. A picture of a frigate and, beneath it, the words: 'Ship Inn'.

A fire crackled in the hearth of the busy saloon bar and the landlord beamed a welcome. They had a room for the night that we could easily afford.

"You couldn't rustle us up something to eat, could you?" I asked hopefully as I took a sip of my pint and stretched out my feet.

"I should think so," the landlord replied. He nodded in the direction of one of his patrons. "Jim here just landed a load of scallops. Those suit you?"

Ann and I returned to the Ship Inn at Portloe often. However, nothing matched the pleasure of its discovery. That was a perfect day.

The perfect day, like a good life, has to have contrast. No one enjoys a book which describes only triumph; but triumph over adversity...

I have noticed that some of the lovely people who have left comments on this Blog are 'crafty' people. You knit, you sew, you weave and you spin.

But, you see, I can spin too.

Home-spun philosophy anyone?

8 comments:

trash said...

Spinning in any form is movement and action. Both are necessary day to day things. And it seems to me that a place like your Ship Inn is time out of time find. they are magical.

See at least your philosophising was homespun, mine is just cod!


BTW 'suspiration' - great word.

Kristy said...

I've been popping by ever since Tracey posted about your blog.Never really sure what to say but want you to know I m here. x

Anonymous said...

The 'Philosophy of Cod' would be a good title for a book. You should write it!

P

Scimitar70 said...

The 'spin' made me laugh aloud... the story is fabulous, I can picture you both with the car and taste the scallops.
T.

Jan said...

I love reading your true life posts, you can capture the imagination,I am able to picture exactly what you are saying it must be the Barrister in you that allows you to tell such a good story!

Vee said...

Yup, I'm sitting here grinning at that post. Love a good "spin" and a word rightly spoken. Glad to see that you are still writing. I think Anonymous has an excellent idea.

Aqeela said...

I have to say that ive been reading your blogs since your first one and i just cant keep away, i feel like i know both you and Ann, your writting is so descriptive and honest. I really hope you continue with such honesty, it may not seem like much but im sure your blog has touched all who have read it and we are all willing to listen whenever you are happy or sad so please remember we are all here wondering how you are.
Take care,
lindsay.
PS:Im new to blogging and would welcome visits to my blogs if you have the time!

Unknown said...

spinning a good story is quite similar to spinning a fibre

both need a deft touch, and good materials to start with.

even though you may think that you and others have not-so-much in common, it is your spinning that keeps us coming back.